What is conch you ask? conch is a common name that is applied to a number of different medium to large-sized shells. The term applies to large snails whose shell has a high spire and a noticeable siphonal canal. In North America, a conch is often identified as a queen conch, indigenous to the waters of The Bahamas.
No conch salad would be complete without our local Bahamian beer, Khalik. So, if you happen to be in The Bahamas and looking for an authentic Bahamian meal or snack, why not try our local conch, which can be found anywhere on the Islands. But until such time, here is a recipe to entice you:
- 8 oz. Cleaned conch, diced
- 10 tbsp. Fresh lime juice
- 5 tbsp. Fresh orange juice
- ½ c. Diced tomato
- ¼ c. Diced onion
- 1 Cucumber peeled, seeded, and diced
- ½ c. Bell peppers, diced
- 2 Jalapeño peppers, minced (add a third for extra spice)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Combine ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Cover and let marinate for at least 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!